Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Two Fantastic Beauty Finds, On the Cheap!

I am not a major makeup snob, nor am I an expert by any stretch. I have only one small zip-case of makeup in the bathroom, and a smaller one in my purse. I do love to try new things, though, especially inexpensive new things. Here's two I just picked up, that are really worth their price, and more:


e.l.f. Essential Luscious Liquid Lipstick, $1
The sales site says: "Lip therapy is here! Intensive hydrating agents along with natural pigments leave lips with long-lasting color and moisture."

I agree! I bought Ruby Slipper, a sheer red, and it's actually smooth, shiny and not gloppy. It doesn't last all day, of course, but it makes it a few hours, and it's fun to re-apply. I'm definitely going to get more colors.


A nice variety of cool and warm shades.



e.l.f. Studio Tone Correcting Powder, $3
The claim on this one is: "The lightweight formula evens out skin tone and absorbs excess oil, and sheer formula brightens, mattes and neutralizes the skin. The colors are meant to be blended together as the Blue neutralizes orange, the Green neutralizes red, the Pink neutralizes grey and the Yellow brightens and neutralizes red."

By golly, it does, at least for my overly-pink face. I use a big brush and mix all the colors together, and I love the results. I'm not sure it would be workable on medium-to-dark skin tones, however.


It does what is says! For fair-to-light skin, anyway.


And it feels very frugal/virtuous to buy new indulgences for so little $$$. Have you tried this brand? Any reviews you are willing to share?

15 comments:

  1. That elf set is gorgeous.
    To be honest I do not spend that much - if any - on make up.
    Due to my job i get some freebies.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing Patti--I'm going to try out the correcting powder!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have used the e.l.f. Luscious Liquid Lipstick and found it to be a pretty good product for the price.  I just purchased (yesterday, in fact!) a package of blotting sheets....something I have to use to keep my oily face from shining!  For $3.00 you get 3 packs of 50 sheets each; tea tree, green tea and aloe.  Will let you know if they are effective.  e.l.f. make-up brushes consistently get good reviews too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. revasrags2roses fordApril 10, 2012 at 6:10 PM

    The elf looks like a great buy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for these reviews. I could definitely use a little tone correcting powder and the price is right!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You know what I'm gonna say, Patti: If you like that shade, you'd better buy 3! ;)

    I've heard good things about this brand. Never tried it, though. Hmmmm..... (hatching a plan)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm a drugstore beauty product fiend! I like the expensive stuff too, but I always feel like I'm getting away with something if I can buy one and get another half off.
    I've never tried elf but it looks good. Their lipsticks are supposed to be good too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for the review.  For the price it's worth a try. I have a red spot and I've tried green foundation/cover-up products with mixed results.  Maybe the mix of concealing colors makes a difference.

    I'm a drug store cosmetic buyer.  I won a fancy eyeshadow in a contest one time, ShuUmera (?) and was surprised by the quality of the powder.  It was much smoother and pearly than what I'd been using.  It didn't convince me to start regularly spending more than $10 bucks on on cosmetics, but I'll tip my hat to the notion that the quality may differ.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, for that price it might be worth trying a few of their products.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I loved my elf eyeshadow palette, but I gifted it to my Mom after I got gifted a Victoria Secret palette. I thought the color pay off was good for the price, not a night time look, but good for daily use. Didn't break me out either. And pretty much all makeup does. 

    ReplyDelete
  11. Jean at Dross into GoldApril 11, 2012 at 11:56 PM

    ALWAYS looking for inexpensive products that work!  Thank you for the info!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. elf has some great inexpensive stuff.  i love ordering from them!

    CLaire

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Patti!

    I do not know if we have that brand in Canada but a new brand of cheap make up made its way to Montreal, it called Essence. They are products from Germany
    I will keep my eye open or next time i go to the US i will buy some
    Thanks for sharing

    Ariane xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  14. I have heard so many good things about E.L.F. but I cannot find it in Canada? Has anyone seen these cosmetics in the great white north? Thanks for sharing Patti.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Well duh, If I had read the article a little closer, I would see that I can order the E.L.F. products. Hooray.

    ReplyDelete