I know my mood changes and some days, neat-and-clean and don't-frighten-the-horses is fine. Like when we're having a stay-cation, and the biggest energy expenditure of the day is a bike ride to the taco place. A black tee, skinny jeans, and Chucks will make me happy. Oh, and lipstick, gotta have lips.
Other days, I want to elevate from OK to "oh, yeah". On those occasions I like to practice the Rule of Instead. I reach for my usual pieces then ask, "What might work for me instead . . . ?" For example, here are some lively substitutions:
- Instead of classic heels, how about booties? I have quite a few of these : >
- Instead of a pencil skirt, how about a pencil skirt with glitter? Yummy.
|Halogen skirt, Nordstrom, on sale for $20. I could totally wear this with a casual|
long sleeved tee and booties for a fun date night look.
- Instead of my red lips, how about something coral?
- Instead of a bracelet, how about a big honking ring?
- Instead of a shoulder bag, how about a cool clutch?
|Love this bright clutch from Asos, $35. It's not too "precious" for everyday.|
These "instead ofs" don't have to cost much or take a lot of styling effort. They just require that I reach twice into the closet - once by habit and then with a new eye.
Do you have ways to pump up a familiar look, by doing an "instead" item? Love to hear your ideas, as always!
And please come back for Visible Monday! We open early, on Sunday evening, and party on through Monday. Everyone is invited to participate!