Sunday, March 2, 2014

Edgy Style at The Oscars

I found a cool fashion slideshow at The Guardian today. See the whole collection here. And I learned a new word! The title of the article is "Oscar Fashion: How To Do Off-Piste."

Come again? The online dictionary says "off-piste" refers to snow skiing, and means "Existing or taking place on snow that has not been compacted into tracks." So, off the beaten path. You all likely knew that already, but I live in Florida. We had a few snowflakes back in 1986.

There will be a lot of body-con gowns at the Oscars tonight, and strapless prom-like dresses, and some marvelous nude columns. There may be some off-piste as well, and I'll be looking for that.

Here's my girl Tilda Swinton in 2008. She took a lot of heat for this Lanvin dress, but I loved it on her.


Florence Welch is another woman who skis off the beaten trail, and looks like her own gorgeous self in this Valentino gown.



Although she's often called a "worst dressed", I think Diane Keaton is fab in her androgynous style, and she's her own drummer. Here she is in 2003.



And of course, the inimitable, always-off-piste Cher in 1986. Go big or go home.



Will you be watching? Have a wonderful evening and stay fabulous,




Visible Monday is on its "off" week this week, so we can recharge and refresh, or stay up all night carousing like monkeys. ☺  We'll be back on Monday, March 10th (actually, the Sunday evening before)!

21 comments:

  1. Pam@over50feeling40March 2, 2014 at 5:26 PM

    I am sitting down to watch the Red Carpet right now...can't wait!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sheila (of Ephemera)March 2, 2014 at 6:48 PM

    I'm all over the Oscars, and I will be looking for those women (and men!) who push the envelope and go their own way!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I never watch, but I'll probably drool over the photos tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ill be watching Fashion Police tomorrow night. Hope helene bonham-carter shows up in something off-piste. Thats where all the fun is. Xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have no use for the Oscars but I do love watching movies. I laughed when I read you had a few snowflakes back in 1986! Enjoy the show.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cher could probably still rock that outfit ;-)

    Monica, www.pear-shaped-gal.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yup, go big or go home. I'm not in the slightest bit interested in strapless boredom either!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Go big or go home has been my saying of the weekend, thanks to you!
    Cher wins hands down here. My favourite outfit of all time was Bjork's swan dress. Unforgettable. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  9. I use the phrase "off-piste" a lot. Never been skiiing though... And it also gets mutated into "oft-pissed", which describes me very well, being both pissed off and pissed-up (drunk)... I'm so classy!
    Anyway, back to the Oscars. Didn't watch it and have no idea what anyone wore, but there always seems to be a lot of nude/neutrals, so anything different really stands out. I don't always like the unusual outfits but boy, is it a relief to see some individuality and daring! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  10. HOW many "i"s in skiiiiiing?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Nope, I rarely watch these shows, though I do like looking up the Best & Worst dressed afterwards, meow. Cher in Bob Mackie will forever be remembered, though ... in this outfit and others.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I thought all the gowns were gorgeous this year. I'm new to your blog and really enjoy it.
    Has anyone ever told you that you look like Liona Boyd?

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hourra for Off Piste, we need them, to much uniformity, generic and boring!Offf piste is great! I'm for Off piste

    ReplyDelete
  14. Patti_NotDeadYetStyleMarch 3, 2014 at 9:48 AM

    love her.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Patti_NotDeadYetStyleMarch 3, 2014 at 9:49 AM

    me too. Didn't see her last night.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Patti_NotDeadYetStyleMarch 3, 2014 at 9:49 AM

    yes, the swan! she was my favorite that year.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Patti_NotDeadYetStyleMarch 3, 2014 at 9:49 AM

    Iiiii had the same issue.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Patti_NotDeadYetStyleMarch 3, 2014 at 9:50 AM

    thanks for coming by, and for the compliment!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Watched it…was terribly underwhelmed this year. I missed the pre-red carpet show though of the dresses. What I saw were just okay.


    bisous
    Suzanne

    ReplyDelete
  20. I 'watched' via twitter and tumblr. Couldn't miss out our our boy Benny and his goofy photobombing!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Shelley @ForestCityFashionistaMarch 6, 2014 at 2:30 PM

    I miss the days when Barbara Streisand wore a see through pantsuit and Cher wore that freaking fabulous head-dress (still my favourite Oscar outfit ever). The dresses are so boring now - I'd rather see someone take a crazy risk like Bjork did with the swan dress, or La Swinton did with the Lanvin than the parade of pastel sparkly strapless dresses.

    ReplyDelete